When you find yourself seeking a jump-start or getting stranded at work or the grocery store a bit too often, the problem may be as simple as needing car battery replacement in Basalt, CO, rather than a dreaded alternator or starter issue. Car batteries usually give you warning signs before they fail completely, meaning you can get them replaced before you find yourself really stuck. Here are six signs that replacing your car battery may be in your immediate future:
- The warning light says so: When your dash lights indicate issues with your battery, it could be a worn-out battery or a charging system failure. Like the “check engine” light, this is one that should not be ignored. We can test your battery to see if it needs replacement or check your charging system. A bad charging system can also drain your battery multiple times to render it useless, so fixing the system and replacing your battery may both be in order.
- Slow start: Cars with old batteries are often reluctant to start. The battery will crank sluggishly and when it does die, none of the interior lights will work. Just as with the warning light, there can also be other issues, and in this case, those would be with the alternator or starter. However, if you get an old battery replaced soon, that will place less stress on those parts so they do not wear out as quickly.
- Battery leak: This is a dangerous situation that should not be handled by an amateur. The acid will corrode battery connections and other parts within your vehicle, so you will need to take it in as soon as possible. There is no turning back once a battery starts leaking, so you will need to invest in car battery replacement in Basalt, CO.
- It has been years: If you purchased your car in 2008 and have never replaced the battery, it will soon be time. Most batteries have a three- to six-year lifespan, and sometimes they will surpass that. The gambling types will often continue until the actual failure date of the battery, but if being stranded is not your ideal way to spend your time, we suggest replacing batteries when their predicted lifespan times out.
- Low battery fluid: In some cars, you can see the battery fluid level. If this starts disappearing quicker, that means the battery is struggling to stay charged. Arrange to have both your battery and charging system tested so you can stop this problem before it becomes more serious.
- Short trips mean a jump-start: Aging batteries take longer to charge, meaning that 20-minute hop across town will use power without giving it time to charge up again. If you find your short trips mean calling roadside assistance for a jump-start each time, your battery is likely at the end of its useful life.
Basalt Quick Lube, Tire & Alignment includes car battery replacement in Basalt, CO among its comprehensive list of services. Visit us after your next jump-start so we can solve that problem for good.